Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Personal List of Reasons My Sterility Is Awesome

I'm sterile... mostly.  Which isn't a problem because I'm childfree (no, not because I'm already barren and trying to rationalize it).  But people always seem sooo sorry for me when they find out.  Here's why that's all bullshit.
  1. I can keep my money.
    I mean, duh.  This one is so oversaid that it probably isn't worth mentioning it, but too late.
  2. I don't have to feel guilty about leaving somebody over kids.
    How many unhappy couples stay together just because they don't want to depress their kids?  I'll never have to deal with that shit.  I might have to deal with other shit, but it's not that bad.
  3. There is less of a chance my stuff's going to be wrecked.
    When I was little I remember destroying a lot of my parents' things just because.  I don't even know why.  In retrospect, what the fuck.  And I have had some stuff destroyed by other peoples' kids, but that doesn't happen often because I don't have them myself.  Huzzah!
  4. I don't have to deal with my kids' political or religious beliefs.
    This is a rather foresight-based one, but my father and I have had the stupidest political arguments and my mother and I have different religions now, as I converted.  If I had kids and they wound up being Republicans or religious nutbags, I don't know what the hell I'd do.  At least if a partner does that shit you can break up with them if it gets too unbearable.
  5. I don't have to deal with stupid parent-politics, either.
    I have opinions on how to raise kids... but never will I have to take other peoples' blather about it personally.  I will never have to deal with some high-and-mighty mother telling me I'm a shitty parent for not breastfeeding or having my kid circumcised or sending them to public school or raising them into my faith.
  6. I have less of an ecological impact.
    I'm not childfree for the eco cred, but it does give me solace to know that not bringing another first-world child into the world is good for the planet.
  7. I have the opportunity to make my sex life awesome.
    Not that parents can't have sex lives, but they certainly can't have the kind I like.